16.5.09

Where's My Man?

In the past 4 weeks, I think I've seen the Man a whole 3 days. Originally he was out of town for work but then his Mother, who winters in Florida, fell down and broke her shoulder and so he flew down there almost immediately. They operated on her, she begins to recover and then what happens? A massive Staph infection, followed by 2 heart attacks. He's had a very difficult few weeks. So, it's yet another weekend on my own here and unless I actually have someone to cook for, preparing a meal for 1 is just not on the agenda. It ends up way way down there with laundry and window washing --it ain't gonna happen unless I'm desperate ;-)

Well, I'm missing him and there's a cold strong wind blowing outside today making it a rather unpleasant experience of cleaning up my garden (something I really do enjoy without being desperate). I got to thinking about his favourite starch recipe that includes any one of these Grey Salt delights but since I won't be making it tonight, I thought you might like the recipe.

This recipe serves 6 - we usually cut it down to our little family of 3 (when the teenager is around)

OVEN ROASTED RED POTATOES
1 1/2 lb red new potatoes
1 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
1 tbsp Little Italy Grey Salt Blend (to go with Red Meat dishes)
or, 1 tbsp Little Burgundy Grey Salt Blend (to go with White Meats, Fish and Seafood)
or, 1 tbsp GreekTown Grey Salt Blend (perfect on Chicken, Lamb and White Fish)
2 tbsp Olive Oil

Preheat oven to 450 F. Cut potatoes to bite sized pieces, usually quarters do the trick. Place cut potatoes in a nonstick deep roasting pan and add the remaining ingredients. Toss together. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, turn the potatoes and roast for another 15 minutes or until the the potatoes form a nice crust on the white parts. Serve with just about everything!

Love the one you're with!

2 comments:

  1. oh DEIRDRE !!! I am so sorry for you husband, his mother ... and you ...
    I wish I was "physically" closer so taht we could eat together !!!!

    or you are more than welcome at my place ... I sincerely hope things will get better shortly ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. my B makes the best roasted potatoes (thank goodness he's the cook in the house!)

    i'm sorry to hear this sad news about your mother-in-law. i hope things get better for your family soon.

    ReplyDelete